Friday, April 13, 2012

Lure of the Labyrinth


If I haven't mentioned this to you yet, either I haven't actually seen you OR you weren't listening, because I've been telling everyone lately about the MIT created Lure of the Labyrinth game.  This comic book style, immersive experience of learning mathematical concepts at middle grade level is my new favourite thing.  The more I play it, the more I'm amazed.  I see it as fun for all ages, and of course, a million times better than doing worksheets or drill.  Though, that goes without saying.  The truly impressive element of Lure of the Labyrinth is how it creates a puzzling environment that challenges students to test their mathematical thinking and to naturally develop conceptual pieces of middle grade math ideas.

Currently, a contest is running for grades 6 to 8 students, working in groups of 4 to 6.  All they need to do is have a teacher create their teams and register at www.lureofthelabyrinth.net between April 1st and June 15th.  However, the challenge is just a contest that MIT is hosting to gather data on students and gaming.  Anyone can play the game, regardless of age (and trust me, this is one of those "fun for all ages, 8 to 88, kind of deals") by going to the main website.

Check out this website Scoop for some more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment